May 29, 2007

You're making me wet, grandma

It’s a tough job flicking through the men’s mags, but someone’s got to do it. How else to determine the fast-testosterone zeitgeist of the under 30s? Mind you, they’re not as good as they used to be. When I was actually in the target demographic, Loaded was funny, FHM not so dirty, and GQ was so snooty you needed to chew a plum to read it.
Some of the ads a still quite good though, although the nearer you get to the back of these mags, their quality diminishes.
I was pleasantly surprised by this masterpiece from the nether pages of Maxim. It’s a cheapo that doesn't even turn up on Nielsen, has a touch of crapness about it but is still very, very funny. It took less than a moment to force a laugh out of me which, considering how crowded these mags are (especially with other ads for muscle-building supplements, mostly featuring extras from “300” surrounded by blondes with pneumatic tits) is a triumph.
Somehow, I don’t think an art director or copywriter worth their salt would have considered this Carry On execution, but just like the Classic Ford Cortina, is made of cheap elements that create something that is infinitely greater than the sum of its parts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I worship that ad. It's wordless. Or I'm speechless. One of those.