March 26, 2007

Pointless critter products

I’ve seen surveys which claim that our free time is dwindling and that we have to cram more activities into the same 24-hour box.
This is a handy argument for marketers who have to push the latest convenient and time-saving product. Innovation in increasingly crowded markets succeeds if the consumer is fooled into buying the latest version of something that was perfectly adequate in its original form. Look at razors, dishwashing powders, even food.
Does the latest Gillette laser-powered 8-blade vibrating razor give a closer shave that a single-bladed disposable? Does the plastic-coated tablet with sealed conditioning liquid clean better than boxed dishwasher powders? Do chlorine-cleaned and repackaged lettuce leaves taste better than the loose raw vegetable?
I was therefore utterly astounded when this short ad crept onto my TV screen. It’s just another example of a pointless 21st century product.



Cats are my least favourite pet since I have engaged them in a daily battle to keep them from shitting on my lawn. Observing the general behaviour of the feline-owning neighbours, I have developed a theory that cat ownership may have a correlation with IQ. One cat per household has a zero effect – there’s no recognisable decline in intelligence of the occupants. Once you start to increase the cat per household quota, then mental faculties decline.
Without jobs but with satellite TV in every bedroom, and take-away food delivered at least four times a week, my pikey neighbours keep at least a dozen of the critters.
I wonder who has the inclination to buy this wretched product. Maybe its multiple-cat owners who have more money than sense. But I guess the cat food manufacturers have to try something, when the UK cat population is about 8 million-strong, and the market worth £900m. Rich pickings.

Speaking of cats, this is the greatest cat picture, ever.

No comments: